CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dx

So ever since I got so sick in January/February I feel like I just want to sleep all the time.  It had gone on long enough that I decided to go to the doctor to see if I was anemic or something.  I had a bunch of blood tests and it's not anemia.  I have Hyperthyroidism, aka my thyroid is freaking out and releasing too much thyroid hormone.  This means that everything in my body is running faster and harder than it needs to.  I could live with my metabolism being extra high (bring on the m&m's!), but, I can do without the risk of heart failure, so we're going to figure out what is causing the freak-out and get it fixed.  I'll have an ultrasound of my thyroid sometime next week that will tell the doctor if I have nodules on my thyroid that are causing this and how big they are if they are there, then we will decide on a course of action.  We will do one of three things:


1 - Anti-thyroid meds to slow down the release of the hormone 

2- Nuke my thyroid with radioactive iodine that would target only the thyroid tissue and destroy a bunch of it 

3- Surgical removal of part or all of my thyroid 

It will be interesting to see what the doctor recommends after all of the tests are done.  I have reservations about the second two treatments, but I'll do what is best.  Especially if doing one of those will help me swallow easier.  I always assumed it was scar tissue from my Acid Reflux that was making it hard to swallow, but it might be my freaky thyroid.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comments:

Ritzville RS said...

We will keep you in our prayers! Keep us updated.