CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gavin's Reading!!!

Gavin has been able to read small words for a few months now, but today I brought out Ashley's First Grade reading chart and asked him to read the words in the first column (the easiest words).  He was able to read more than half of them!  I'm so excited!  I asked Cierra if she wanted to try, and she didn't want to.  Things have to be her idea, or she doesn't want to do it, and so far, doing more than a cursory try at reading isn't her idea.  But, I'll keep trying!  And Ashley is doing absolutely wonderfully at school.  I had a parent/teacher conference last week, and got an update on her reading.  Alpine School District uses their own scoring system for their reading, and I don't know how it compares to other scoring systems, but on their system when they come into first grade in the Fall they want them to be at a 3, and Ashley was at a 12.  For Winter (middle of the year) they want them to be at a 10 and Ashley was at a 20!  They only want them to be at a 16 when they LEAVE first grade!  In fact, her teacher said that they were only allowed to test the kids up to level 20 this time, so we really don't know how high Ashley would have gotten if she would have been allowed to test Ashley to her full potential.  I'm so proud of her!!

1 comments:

J-momma said...

i think it's a guy thing (about your comment on my blog.) congrats on reading! that's awesome! i just realized your blog isn't listed on my sidebar, so i added you. still no placement huh? even though i know i probably have a couple months to wait still, i can't help but jump everytime there's an unrecognized phone number calling.