CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 3, 2009

Thyroiditis

That's what I have.  Something (a virus or antibodies that I am making) is attacking my thyroid and damaging it, causing it to swell and be overactive.  They did another blood test today to check for antibodies, which is what usually causes this.  The viral kind is rare, apparently.  I now take antithyroid drugs three times a day to reduce the amount of hormone released by my freaky thyroid.  I have to go in monthly for blood tests to check the amount of thyroid hormone being released to see if it is too high or too low and adjust my meds accordingly.  There is a chance that this will resolve on its own in 12-18 months (uggghhhh), but if they can't get my thyroid to behave and get the inflammation to go down (so I can swallow, talk, etc without feeling it) then we start talking about nuking it.  Hmmmmmm.....We'll see about that.

2 comments:

Answer to Many said...

I"m glad they figured it out. It still sucks though. I'm sorry. Let me know if you need anything! Also thanks so much for watching Seth last night. We really appreciate it.

Ritzville RS said...

Wow! So, does your thyroid freaking out right now cause you other symptoms? Or just the annoying I-can-feel-it-all-the-time?
I hope it gets better fast with the meds!